COVID and the 2021-2022 School Year
2021-22 COVID Update
On Wednesday, July 20, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) released this guidance: Colorado’s Practical Guide for Operationalizing CDC’s School Guidance https://covid19.colorado.gov/practical-guide-for-operationalizing-cdc-school-guidance.
Along with other local school leaders, I had the opportunity to participate in two calls with the Larimer County Department of Public Health and Environment (LCPHE) shortly following the release of this guidance. LCPHE shared they will not be issuing local level guidance at this time, and they will encourage schools to follow the state guidance. You can read the statement from LCPHE here, which was posted on their website July 23, 2021. AXIS leadership will continue to review the guidance, and at this point you can read our preliminary information below. Protocols for volunteers and guests in the building will be forthcoming.
- AXIS has encouraged and supported staff to get vaccinated. Those who are fully vaccinated will not be quarantined if exposed, which means less potential disruption to in-person learning.
- We will continue hand washing and frequent cleaning.
- Individuals are encouraged to remain at least 3 feet away from non-household contacts when possible.
- We will continue to ask families and staff to self-monitor and monitor their children for symptoms. Anyone experiencing symptoms should not be at school - stay home or go home. AXIS will follow CDPHE’s updated Return to Learn guidance. We will not do daily temperature checks.
- AXIS is grateful to have an upgraded ventilation system, which helps to reduce COVID transmission.
- AXIS is a mask-friendly school. At this time we do not plan to require masks for students. We have heard from families who plan to have their children wear masks, as recently the American Academy of Pediatrics released recommendations and supported masks for people who are unvaccinated, similar to Colorado’s current public health order.
- If an outbreak occurs, AXIS will work with LCDHE to determine the appropriate response. This could include masks indoors, additional distancing, testing, contact tracing and quarantining.
- County and state guidance may change or there may be an outbreak or other high-risk activity, in which masks or other mitigation techniques may be required.
- AXIS will continue transparency for our staff and families and post any COVID assessments on our website here.
Alternatives to Full-time Onsite Learning
If you are looking for an option different than full-time onsite schooling we encourage your to check out our AXIS Home School option which meets once a week onsite in a very small cohort. You can read more about that here: www.AXIScolorado.org/homeschool/.