Inclement Weather Procedures
AXIS International Academy Preschool-5th Grade Inclement Weather Procedures
School Closure, Delayed Start, and Early Release
- School Closure: School is closed for the entire school day.
- Delayed Start: School begins two hours later at 10:00am, drop off is 9:50-10:00am, (NO Before Care) and school ends on time at 3:10.
- Early Release: School closes early due to impending severe weather (NO After Care or Enrich).
Although we are not a charter school authorized by Poudre School District, we are located in the PSD geographical boundary.
- If PSD closes, AXIS will close.
- If PSD has a delayed start, AXIS will close or have a delayed start.
- If PSD has an early release, AXIS will have an early release.
PSD has a very thorough decision-making process; therefore, if they decide to delay or close, we will always do the same. That being said, there may be an occasion when AXIS closes or has a delayed start when PSD does not.
At AXIS we take these decisions very seriously, and we put the safety of our students, families, and staff first. We understand the challenges these actions impart on families who have to find care for their children. Because of our location in the Poudre School District, this organization influences the decision-making of AXIS relevant to inclement weather decisions.
Remember that as the parent or guardian you have the ultimate responsibility for the safety and well-being of yourself and your children. You can always decide not to send your children to school on a snowy day if you feel it is unsafe. AXIS is flexible with late arrivals due to weather and will always excuse a student absence when called in by a parent or guardian due to weather. Please give yourself extra time driving and stay safe.
Where can I look to see if school is delayed to closed due to weather?
AXIS attempts to notify parents as far in advance as possible in the case of these events, at least by 6:30am the morning of. Prior to leaving home when there is a weather advisory, watch, or warning (see below for more information on these terms), please double check these AXIS sources to ensure you have the most accurate and up-to-date information on whether school is closed or delayed:
What does my child's school day look like if school is delayed?
- Before Care is cancelled.
- Teachers arrive onsite for planning at 9:30.
- Drop off is 9:50-10:00.
- Students arrive and go to their AM cohort teacher and class.
- Lunch and lunch recess schedule stays the same.
- After lunch students go to either their PM cohort or back to the AM cohort. These alternate each time there is a 2-hour delay. For example, if there were a 2-hour delay on January 6, those students would go to their PM cohort after lunch. If there were another 2-hour delay on January 20, then those students would go back to their AM cohort after lunch, and so on.
- Specials and intervention are cancelled.
- Pick up (3:10-3:20), After Care (3:20-5:30), and Enrich (3:25-4:25) operate at the normal times.
- No classes on delayed days.
Why would AXIS close or delay its start if PSD does not?
While we will always look to PSD in the case of inclement weather, there are times when AXIS might close or delay starting even when PSD has chosen to remain open. Here's why:
The majority of students in PSD attend neighborhood schools, which means the majority of families and buses do not need to travel very far from their homes to school. As a charter school, AXIS is not a neighborhood school, and we have students who travel from Greeley, Wellington, Berthoud, or beyond to get to our school. We love being a school open to all kids in Northern Colorado, regardless of district of residence. However, this also means that we need to consider road conditions outside of our immediate area, along with longer travel times that could increase risk of incident.
Important Weather Information for Families